Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ongoing work and other sites

Oh ho, I have to meet this prof here for the research for my term paper and he got a blog! Wow, that seems to be a cool guy, read his article on "Why specialists are grumpy and generalists are happy" or the rest of his blog!
Hope he'll have time to meet with me!

And then I found my friend G-Tech describing his HCI course: Projekt in meinem HCI-Kurs.
It's in German, sorry for all the German-illiterates, but I want just to point out some specialities of the approach to design I'm learning here. You can take them as is, or if you know German you may contrast them with what my friend describes.
We also do

Understand -> Ideas -> Prototype -> test -> start over!

But in 2h! At least to start with. We generate an insight that is usable for brainstorming, 50 ideas or something. Then we make (say) 6 prototypes. Then we test - and we are happy if they fail! Then we have learned something, we do not want those "Oh yeah, cool.....!?"-type answers.
Learn by doing prototypes. Learn by talking with the people. And throw them away afterwards - do not be emotionally attached to them! So do NOT invest too much work into a single prototype! Fail fast, fail early, fail gloriously. And LEARN!
(Georg prototypes a user interface - new screen: flip page! It's the only one lying around here - I'm not proud of it, but you get the idea! You make people talk with it, that's GREAT!)

1 comment:

Hendrik said...

Sounds really great what you are doing. We did some of these fast ideation->prototyping->failing->improving sessions within our project, too! It is a lot of fun. This stuff helps us CS guys a lot to think about the actual user of a system instead of merely focusing on the functionality aspects. And, hope to have you stay with me in April! ;-)