Monday, February 12, 2007

Feynman, far future and crazy valley people

I just came home from a talk here. There are always all kinds of weird and/or interesting people coming to Stanford to give talks. This time it was Alexander Rose, the lead engineer of the Longnow Foundation. They want to design a clock that runs for the next 10,000 years (at least). They already built the mountain where they want to set it up in. Their first prototype went straight into the London Scientific Museum.

The original idea is from a guy named Danny Hillis who has co-founded thinking machines, a thousands-of-processors-computer company, in 01983 (mind the extra zero against the next bug!).
So what I found nice is this quote from Richard Feynman which Alexander cited as an inspiration of his:
I believe that it is quite reasonable for humanity to be making mistakes - it is still so young! (Free after Richard Feynman)

Maybe someone can find the original quote to this. I was unsuccessful.
It is even more interesting as Feynman had worked on the Manhattan project and was generally known for his feeling sorry about any new bridges and buildings being built: "What a pity, this isn't going to survive for long..." alluding to the bomb.

Anyways, we had nice stormy weather during the talk, lots of thunder and lightning, and someone in the audience could not refrain from remarking: "Your great adversary is speaking!"

No comments: